Prospect Farm hosts public organics drop-off every Saturday 11am to 12pm and Wednesday 5pm to 6pm.
- Fruit and vegetable scraps
- Coffee grounds and filters
- Paper tea bags
- Egg and nut shells
- Food-soiled paper towels and napkins
- Bread and grains
- Shredded newspaper
- Sawdust and wood shavings from untreated wood
- Stale beans, flour, and spices
- Cut or dried flowers
- Houseplants and potting soil
- BPI-Certified compostable plastics
We DO NOT accept:
- Meat or fish scraps
- Cheese or dairy products
- Fats, grease, oil, or oily foods
- Cat or dog feces
- Kitty litter
- Colored or glossy paper
- Sawdust made from pressure-treated plywood or lumber
- Coal or charcoal ashes
- Non-compostable materials like plastic, metals, or glass
- Diseased or insect-infested houseplants and soil
- Biodegradable plastics
Please remember to remove all stickers, rubber bands, and twist ties from your produce and staples from your teabags!!!
All organics collected at Prospect Farm are processed into compost on site or hauled to be composted by the wonderful people at Big Reuse.
We thank Big Reuse for this partnership and hope you do the same with showing them your support. With their help, we are able to greatly increase the amount of organics we can divert from landfills.
Stay up to date with compost related news at Prospect Farm, including compost giveaways, by joining our mailing list: bit.ly/PFcompost
Curious about composting and want to learn the ins and outs? Consider joining our Compost Committee, or volunteering at either Prospect Farm or Big Reuse.